Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Poll: another possible problem migrating to ros

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Poll: another possible problem migrating to rosters
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:42:32 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
Could you give more details on why and how you use it, to help us
understand what would be the best way to migrate your work?

I just did this yesterday (or rather, I deliberately avoided doing so). I've just started using monotone for one of my projects. Motivation for doing so was that I have two independent branches. The branching stuff in CVS has always scared me, so I figured now would be a good time to use monotone. The key point is, I already have the two branches, but one of them's not in CVS. What I would have done:

monotone --branch com.siliconcircus.project cvs_import /cvs/project
cd project_newbranch
monotone setup
monotone add .
monotone --branch com.siliconcircus.project.newbranch commit

At some point in the future, those two branches are going to be merging, so I'd have the graph you mention.

What I did instead (since this thread was in my mind):

monotone --branch com.siliconcircus.project cvs_import /cvs/project
monotone --branch com.siliconcircus.project checkout project_new_clean
cd project_new_clean
rm <everything except MT>
cd ..
cp project_newbranch/* project_new_clean
cd project_new_clean
monotone ls missing | xargs monotone drop
monotone ls unknown | xargs monotone add
monotone --branch com.siliconcircus.project.newbranch commit

(I actually took slightly more care with it than this, but this is the monotone-relevant part of what I did.)

Presumably, this will result in

             / \
  .project  B   C  .project.newbranch
            .   .
            .   .
            X   Y
             \ /

Clearly, though, it's more effort for the user. Whilst my case isn't all that common, I can imagine that it'd be a relatively common thing providing motivation for a switch to monotone. Making it difficult may not be ideal.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.