[Monotone-devel] Re: Poll: another possible problem migrating to rosters

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Poll: another possible problem migrating to rosters
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:23:41 +0000

Tom Koelman <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> We have used merging descendends from multiple graph roots for two
> different scenarios in the wild:
>
>  - Adding a new file that has been developed independently to an
>    existing project, thus preserving both their histories.

I was thinking much the same.  If sqlite, lua, botan, netxx had been
developed in monotone, it might have been appropriate to merge them
with net.venge.monotone, rather than importing.

>  - Because currently there is no sane way to declare a certain branch
>    dead, we created a new branch from scratch called "dead" to which
>    we propagate branches that we want to get rid of.

Wouldn't it be better just to commit to the dead branch?  (I haven't
tested, but that seems like it would work just as well.  Similarly for
removing a head you don't want: just committing to another branch
ought to work?)