Re: [Monotone-devel] Translations revisited

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Translations revisited
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:12:04 +0100

Zack Weinberg schrieb:
essay "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" [
http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html ] for
rationale.
You're right - it's a matter of reuse, but I can probably get that even better with some more autoconf scripting, too (eg. have configure/automake/whoever fill in the appropriate section into the Makefile). Thanks for making me rethink the current layout!
Also, please do not bother preserving Makevars, LINGUAS, or any other
such construct that is not actually necessary.  In my ideal world,
I'm not quite sure about getting the languages automatically - after all, we also don't just import *.cc. But the impact is smaller here, so I wouldn't argue too much about that detail.
Any other opinions/preferences on this?
I would thus suggest rules like this (add extra atomic update and/or
no-change-timestamp-if-contents-unchanged logic as you see fit):
One issue: msgmerge doesn't seem to exist on Solaris (is it GNU?), so I can't rely on that, but it's a start.

Thank you!

Patrick Georgi