Re: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:35:08 +0200

Anthony Williams wrote:
One thing that I do quite often is have a subproject shared between several
other projects. In CVS I have

    shared_project/
        file1.cpp
        file2.cpp
    project1/
        project1.cpp
    project2/
        project2.cpp

I check out shared_project into a subdirectory of each project on disk, so on
disk I have:

    project1/
        project1.cpp
        shared_project/
            file1.cpp
            file2.cpp
    project2/
        project2.cpp
        shared_project/
            file1.cpp
            file2.cpp

Hi,

I've got a similar problem. I use monotone to version java software, with a lot of different projects, which often refer to each other. When I edit code in eclipse, it's easy to make changes that touch multiple projects, for example, when I rename a class in a basic project, all projects that depend on that class are updated.

Since I often ended up forgetting (or even not noticing) which projects were changed, I wrote a tiny script that looks for all monotone projects in my home and does an operation on them. E.g. mtn-all status would perform (something like) a status on all projects.

It works quite well, but it's a little slow on my laptop which has a rather slow hd (on my main machine it takes about 10s for 45 projects containing 27000 files and directories).

I am quite happy with it being a separate script and I don't think this necessarily needs to end up in monotone proper.

Cheers,

-- Ulf