[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.ca can now be used as a server

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.ca can now be used as a server
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:41:24 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 24 Jun 2007 03:13:08 +0200 (CEST), Richard
Levitte <address@hidden> said:

richard> because of the current trouble reaching venge.net, I've set up
richard> monotone.ca to be an alternate server.  Everyone who has signed a cert
richard> in the monotone set of branches has write access, since it's
richard> reasonably likely that those signators also have write access for
richard> venge.net.

I've noticed on IRC that some probably are used to pull EVERYTHING
(doing 'mtn pull venge.net "*"').  That won't work with monotone.ca,
for the simple reason that this server is shared by many branches,
some of them public, some of them private, so when you try to pull
EVERYTHING, you will be hit with something like this:

mtn: warning: protocol error while processing peer monotone.ca: 'received
network error: denied 'address@hidden' read permission for '*' excluding ''
because of branch 'com.opennetworksecurity.consulting.baesystems'

And even if you would have permissions to pull everything, I guarantee
that you wouldn't want to.  Among others, in a spree of foolishness, I
used monotone to store a collection of photos.  We're talking huge, my
local database for that almost 1GB.

So, to make things real easy, DON'T DO THAT ;-), instead, do something
like this:

        mtn pull monotone 'net.venge.monotone*'

(and of course, the same for all other patterns you want to include,
which I understand can make things a little tricky if you have all the
different branches in the same local database)

I'm sorry if you feel inconvenienced.

Cheers,
Richard

-----