[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.ca can now be used as a server

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.ca can now be used as a server
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:47:47 -0700

Richard Levitte wrote:

Aha!  *cracks knuckles*  Soooo, if someone would listen to you saying
"bug", probably for the umpteenth time, and get the idea of actually
doing something about it, you wouldn't mind, would you?

Haha, not in the least. I wish I could dedicate a doppelganger of myself to spend its waking hours fixing embarrassing things like this in mtn.

graydon> I really should have started with SPKI.

Hmm...  ok, so reading up on SPKI would be a good idea, just to figure
out if it's a good option or not...

Well, SPKI is only really right if you have clocks. We want to go clockless, so we need a causal notion of time. See:

http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/VersionedPolicy/SPKIWontWork

But something *like* it would be nice. "We" (paul and myself, who are not presently doing the work, and possibly not including njs who had a slightly different view) "decided" (by writing on whiteboards and strenuously arguing) to try something *like* one of a few model sketches for trust delegation back in the summit, in February. Since then I've been spending time on work and non-computer life, and generally ignoring the issue. The residue of the discussion is:

http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/VersionedPolicy

It's an odd situation. I sort of feel like even if we do a supremely awesome thing wrt. PKI and trust, we'll still be overlooked by most users for being too slow. Maybe not. I often overestimate the quality of our competitors' solutions.

-graydon