Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone.ca can now be used as a server

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone.ca can now be used as a server
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:41:10 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:58:30 -0400, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> said:

stephen_leake> Hmm. The first time around, I did
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake>     mtn genkey address@hidden
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> 'mtn help genkey' says 'address@hidden' is the "keyid".
stephen_leake> So I guess you mean I need to use a different keyid this time
around.
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> I understand that in general a mtn database must have different
keyids
stephen_leake> for different keys. But it would seem this is a reasonable case
for
stephen_leake> replacing a key value, rather than adding a new one. Hmm. I guess
stephen_leake> there are certs in the mtn database with my old key, and you
want to
stephen_leake> maintain the keyid for those. So you'd need some sort of alias
stephen_leake> mechanism.

Actually, the reason that key IDs must be unique is that the table
that stores them is indexed by, you guessed it, unique key IDs.  To
this day, I still can't understand that decision, it has created more
problems than it has solved, as far as I can see.  The key table
SHOULD (in my opinion) be indexed by key fingerprint or something like
that.  But then, I come from the PKI world, where this is common
sense...

'nuff wining...

Cheers,
Richard