Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:59:57 +0100

Markus Wanner schrieb:
> Thomas Keller wrote:
>> I scanned over your patch and noticed only a little quirk: you've
>> introduced yet another command group ("git"); wouldn't it be better to
>> collect all the different import/export functions under one common
>> group, like the existing rcs ("revision control systems") or, to avoid
>> the RCS analogy, "vcs"?
>
> Maybe "ovcs", for Other, Overaged, Obscure or Outrageous VCS?
>
> Other than that, I agree with Thomas that a single command group for all
> import/export/push/pull/sync mechanisms to/from other VCSen is plenty.
> It's not like we have such an overwhelming amount of conversion commands.
>
> (I'd also love to see the underscore in cvs_import and git_export
> vanish. But that's another issue..)

What about two commands with subcommands, "export" and "import", where
we could have

        mtn export git
        mtn import cvs

for now?

Of course this is bikeshed discussion and still doesn't solve the issue
where to put these - having two groups already with only one command
(database, automation) is already stupid enough - and a command group
cannot be specified in the commandline either, so an "import" and
"export" group is equally stupid.

Thomas.