Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:46:04 -0700

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> wrote:
Derek Scherger:

I've spent a bit of holiday hacking time working on a git_export command for monotone, more as an experiment than anything else.

Nice!

This successfully (I think) converts the entire monotone database with 276 branches (more or less what you get when you pull '*' from monotone.ca <http://monotone.ca>) to a git repository.Here's some details on the conversion:

This doesn't honor suspend certs, does it?

At the moment no it doesn't and I'm not sure you would want to. Currently it will create branch refs (refs/heads/branchname) for all branches. Not doing so would probably leave suspended branches in an "unreachable" state and thus prone to garbage collection, as I understand it.

And one more interesting question, what do you do with branches that have multiple heads?

At the moment nothing in particular. I suspect this will leave all but one of the heads in an unreachable state again open for garbage collection. I'm not sure how we would want to handle this in general. Possibly just by saying "make sure all of your branches are merged before exporting."

I considered whether we should also write refs/mtn/revid references so that it is possible to refer to revisions by their original monotone sha1 to avoid leaving any unreachable revs. You probably wouldn't want to keep this list around indefinitely but it's easy to remove these once they are no longer useful, assuming they don't cause any problems I guess.

Cheers,
Derek