Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:48:55 -0800

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Felipe Contreras
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Felipe Contreras <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I really don't like 1), there is *always* a committer in mtn. I
>>
>> There ought to be but there's no real requirement by the data model and if a
>> pull operation was interrupted at the wrong moment it is likely possible to
>> miss some certs. Also, when pulling you always get revs, but you might not
>> get certs (at least branch certs) if they don't match the pattern you're
>> pulling with. I can't recall if no certs are pulled for revs that don't
>> match the branch pattern.
>
> There must be a least one cert per revision. Doesn't it? Date? Changelog?

No, there is no requirement to have any certs on a revision.  A
revision without a branch cert is inconvenient to work with -- you
have to check it out by ID, I think -- but that is the *only* cert
that the system actually pays attention to, unless you've done
something clever in the hooks.  Author, date, changelog are all for
the user's information only.

You have to go to some trouble to get a revision with no certs, but it
is allowed.

zw