Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cygwin-1.7 tests [Was: Time for a release]

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cygwin-1.7 tests [Was: Time for a release]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:42:17 +0200

Lapo Luchini schrieb:
> Lapo Luchini wrote:
>> tester_dir/tests/importing_files_with_non-english_names/8859-1/???
>> tester_dir/tests/importing_files_with_non-english_names/euc/?Ƥ??
>> tester_dir/tests/importing_files_with_non-english_names/utf8/öäüß
>> tester_dir/tests/importing_files_with_non-english_names/utf8/てすと
>>
>> I guess because 8859-1 is not valid UTF-8?
>
> OK, the problem is this: Cygwin-1.5 used to use the normal file system
> calls (which use CP1252 or other, depending on the locale) while
> Cygwin-1.7 always use the wchar_t equivalents which always use UTF-16.
>
> From a few tests I did I think that Cygwin-1.7 is using $LANG to know
> how to interpret the input, then convert it to UTF-16, then feed it to
> the wide-char file function. The filesystem only accepts UTF16, so it's
> really wrong to send "raw filenames" which mean nothing in the charset
> specified in $LANG.
>
> So it's not realyl like in OSX where only UTF8 is ok, on Cygwin-1.7
> anything that conforms to LANG is ok and anything else produces
> "strange" files which can't be used from the command-line...
>
> I started a thread upstream to inquiry on that:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-09/msg00234.html
> but in the meantime I propose to:
> a. always launch the test programs using LANG=C
>    (it uses UTF8 on Cygwin and seems like a nice change also on other
>    systems, not to depend on system locale with test output)
> b. change that test to avoid non-UTF8 filenames much like on OSX

I'd say go and commit the patch you've pasted. If the issue is resolved
upstream or if we can do anything to help resolve the problem on our
site, we can revisit this problem again. Until then, it might be a good
idea to add your findings to http://monotone.ca/wiki/FileSystemIssues so
they get documented and not forgotten.

Thomas.