Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Run workflow from browser in myExperiment:(Ca

From: Stuart Owen
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Run workflow from browser in myExperiment:(Case 53)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:29:28 +0100

On 21 Jul 2007, at 11:20, David De Roure wrote:

Duncan

This is really important - it came out of the portal party and our
scenarios and it's one of the reasons to use myexperiment as opposed to
other sites (these reasons aren't immediately obvious from the trial
version!)

The code to do this is being developed by Stian and will be incorporated
as soon as it's ready.  We did consider doing our own thing rather than
waiting but there were concerns about the scalability - we could have
hacked something up to try it out and get development experience, but it
wouldn't have been suitable for these user trials.

Anyway, it's top priority in our development work after this release.

The Taverna Service activity (known as Long Running Workflows) is now starting to fall together. Most of the issues we are now dealing with are usability improvements, but the actual service interface and schema is now more or less stabilized. It a rest based interface, and I believe that Rails works quite nicely with Rest. The list of outstanding tasks before we provide our first release are:
http://www.mygrid.org.uk/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10000&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=10031
... sorry for the insanely long URL!

I could set up a basic installation of LRW if myExperiment want to start playing with the rest interface.

One concern is how to deal with malicious workflows (e.g. beanshell script to read the password file). We could have it running in a chroot jail or similar but this is not 100% secure (is anything?). Or perhaps have different levels of trust for users, with only the most trusted being able to use local processors, others being limited to workflows that only call out to external services. Anyway this is something that needs thinking about that LRW doesn't address at the moment since the first cut is only designed to be shared internally within a lab.

Stuart.

Thanks

-- Dave