Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] workflow pics

From: James Howison
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] workflow pics
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:59:43 -0400

On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Linde, A.E. wrote:

<<We're trying to build a community of researchers in the domain of those studying free and open source software development>>

Who is 'we'?

Sorry, I'm referring to a research and data repository that I work with: http://ossmole.sf.net Of course there are other respositories in our field, we recently had an NSF workshop to discuss collaboration and ways forward:

<<may I ask why you are building a separate site and not 'just a group' on myexperiment.com>>

I'm aiming to customise the codebase (in relatively small ways): a) to add some facilities astronomers would be more likely to use; b) to add an interface to the SKUA project infrastructure (the main reason for the work I'm doing) in order to test that technology. What we do may turn out to be things myExperiment will later want to incorporate.

I see, makes perfect sense :)

<<For example federated search would relieve some of the difficulties of separated sites>>

Strangely enough, that's pretty much what the SKUA project (http://myskua.org ) is working on.

Excellent, thanks for that. I'm working on an RDF/OWL meta-ontology for which I hope will facilitate cross-repository searching in our research domain as well, although that is at the data-individual level, rather than the organization/dataset level (although that's also a very good idea). I think it's a great approach for federation.

Thanks,
James