nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] switch autoindent on/off?

From: John Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] switch autoindent on/off?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:27:16 -0400

On 4/18/07, Hans Ecke <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi-

How do I switch autoindent on or off "on the fly", i.e. from within nano?
Is that even possible?

I just went into nano's help (^G) and realized that there's no way to
do a search. Might be somewhat helpful to have ^W available here in
the main help screen...

Anyhow, in there it says M-I is the key combo you're looking for.

Incidentally, regardless of whether or not there was a search feature
here, I think portions the help screen would be easier for a human to
parse if, instead of having "enable/disable" at the *end* of the short
explanation line, it instead had "toggle" at the beginning. Compare:

M-X                     Help mode enable/disable
M-C                     Constant cursor position display enable/disable
M-O                     Use of one more line for editing enable/disable
M-S                     Smooth scrolling enable/disable
M-P                     Whitespace display enable/disable
M-Y                     Color syntax highlighting enable/disable

M-X                     Toggle help mode
M-C                     Toggle constant cursor position display
M-O                     Toggle use of one more line for editing
M-S                     Toggle smooth scrolling
M-P                     Toggle whitespace display
M-Y                     Toggle color syntax highlighting

Actually, better yet, so as to not have the word "Toggle" duplicated
so many times, you could even segment those toggle-ables off into
their own section at the end with a heading above them reading, "These
key combos toggle their corresponding feature on and off".

---John