nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] some build stuff

From: Eitan Adler
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] some build stuff
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:23:33 -0700

On 18 June 2014 17:19, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue 17 Jun 2014 21:54:32 Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014, at 19:59, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> > (b) -i requires an argument
>>
>> Huh?  For GNU sed, an argument for -i is optional.
>> You mean that for some implementations it might
>> be required?  I would rather think that -i is not
>> POSIX and some seds might lack it.
>
> -i is not in POSIX.  some implementations (like the BSD) decided to make the
> argument to -i required

POSIX requires flag parsing work like this.  Some implementations
choose to ignore POSIX.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/getopt.html#
""If the resulting value of optind is greater than argc, this
indicates a missing option-argument, and getopt() shall return an
error indication.""

>  (which is stupid, but so are a lot of BSD utils).

lets not get into a pissing match here about which utilities are better/worse.

--
Eitan Adler