nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 11:25:35 +0100

Op 06-12-18 om 18:10 schreef David Ramsey:
> I had a thought: since breaking from the Pico defaults

That's not been decided yet.  There has been far too little response
to the proposal.

> will require some
> adjustment of command line/rcfile options, what about finally removing
> the -q/--quiet option at the same time?  It's been labeled as obsolete
> for over a year now, and since before the 2.9.0 release.

I used to have 'set quiet' in my .nanorc so that I wouldn't get a barrage
of warnings when checking how an older version of nano worked in some
situation.  But I've had it commented out now for a while and cope with
the barrage, so I guess it's fine to remove it.  Patch is coming up.

But this poses the question: Pico recognizes -q nowadays.  Should nano
ignore it for "compatibility"?  (We are not compatible anyway: -W does
something else, all of Pico's color options don't work for nano, and
even -d does not work as in Pico nowadays.)

Benno