nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:00:51 +0100

Op 13-12-18 om 22:17 schreef David Ramsey:
> Benno Schulenberg:
>> When running 'pico -d', both <Delete> and <Backspace> delete a
>> character rightward.  When running 'nano -d', those keys still work in
>> the normal way: <Backspace> deletes leftward, and <Delete> rightward.
>> Except when one uses also -K, then nano behaves like Pico.
>
> I'm getting different results depending on the terminal (using -d, not
> using -K):
>
> Linux console, xterm, KDE5's konsole, urxvt: Backspace deletes
> leftward, Delete deletes rightward
> rxvt, xfce4-terminal, LXQt's qterminal: Backspace deletes rightward,
> Delete deletes rightward

Strange.  For me, running 'nano --ignore -d', the <Delete> and <Backspace>
keys work normally, on Linux console, on xterm, on rxvt, on urxvt, and on
xfce4-terminal.  :|  (Only when I also use -K do <Del> and <Bsp> start to
do the same thing: delete rightward.)  What are your settings in the
Compatibility tab of xfce4-terminal?  In mine, what <Del> and <Bsp> generate
are both set to "Automatic".

And on all five terminals, doing 'infocmp | grep -e kbs -e kdc' shows:
  kbs=^?   and   kdch1=\E[3~

So the Backspace key always produces ASCII DEL, and the Delete key
always the escape sequence "Esc [ 3 ~".

Benno