Re[2]: [Nel] File formats+other stuff

From: robofly
Subject: Re[2]: [Nel] File formats+other stuff
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:03:49 -0800

Hi Olivier,

Monday, January 08, 2001, 3:08:59 AM, you wrote:
OL> How is your organisation working ? What is the task of each office ?
OL> How much funding did you receive ? Why did you head for San Fransisco ?

Here is how our organization works:
We have a management team of 8 people:
President/Director, CFO, Producer, Lead World
Builder/Lead Writer, Production Manager, VP of
Computer Graphics, Lead Graphics Designer and
Lead Animator.

We have a Concept & Illustration team of 6
full time people.  This team is creating the
look of the Warp Storm universe.

We have a Computer Graphics team of 5 full time
people.  This teams includes Donald Graham who
did for an example the first 3D model of the
International Space Station for NASA and Jim Citron
who was the Technical Director for Tippett studios
and worked for example on Starship Troopers,
Armageddon and Godzilla.

We have a Game Mechanics team of 3 full time
people.  This team is responsible for designed
the complex skill based role-playing system
for Warp Storm.

We have programming team of 4 full time
programmers.  This team is currently focusing
on the game mechanics and evaluating different
Open Source technologies that we are considering
for the Warp Storm platform.

Currently we only have 3 employees in Reykjavík,
Iceland.  Our CFO, Lead Graphics Designer and
Interface Designer are working out of Reykjavík
the rest of the team is working out of San
Francisco.

We have received $760.000 in seed funding,
this investments is all from Icelandic
sources.  We are in the progress of opening
our 1st Round of financing and plan to raise
$6.000.000 from sources here in the USA.

The reason for why we choose San Francisco
are: I worked here in 1996/1997 for a company
now called http://www.smartvr.com/ and I
made a lot of connections here then.  It is
relatively easy to get high quality illustrators
and CG people here.

OL> That would be nice. We'd have to find a working methodology though: we
OL> didn't expect other gaming companies to jump in so soon,  even though it
OL> was inevitable in the long term.

We would very much like to figure out the best way for
us to work together.

OL> How many programmers is there in your dev team ?

We currently have only 4 programmers but we are looking
for 2 right now and will be looking for over 10 when
we receive our 1st round of financing.

We have a prototype written in Java3D that has
been active since 1998.  We have a more recent prototype
that helped us secure our seed funding written in C++
that uses Crystal Space for the rendering part.

Currently, Dmitry, our lead programmer is working on
creating a prototype using NeL as the net platform and
using the Nebula Device for 3D rendering.   Nebula has a
bunch of advanced 3D stuff, you can check it out at
http://www.radonlabs.de/ or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nebuladevice/

Warm regards,
Róbert Viðar Bjarnason