Re: Re[2]: [Nel] File formats+other stuff

From: Vianney Lecroart
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Nel] File formats+other stuff
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:22:42 +0100

Hello Robert,

> I just wanted it to see what initial configuration
> elements you were using.  I wanted this to gain
> better understanding of the NeL platform.  I had already
> taken a look at the link you sent me earlier and
> it does not reveal anything about the actual content
> of the config file.

okay, next is the content of our current config file, hope it s what you
wanted:
---- start of client.cfg
// CLIENT CONFIG FILE

FullScreen = 1;    // 1 = yes
Width = 800;
Height = 600;
Depth = 32;
Position = { 819.269836, -738.062500, 8.277040 };    // the last position on
the world (just for prototype)
Heading = { 0.882310, -0.470668, 0.0 };    // the last direction of the head
Background = { 100, 100, 255 }; // color of the background (temporary, we
wait the sky ;)
DataPath = "\\server\gamedata\data/;    // path of where the data are
FontPath = "\\server\code\fonts\arialuni.ttf;  // the font used in the
client (will change)
LanguageIndex = 1;
LSHost = "pc38"; // our login service server
Login = "foo"; // my login
Password = "bar";    // ... i know, it s not crypted :(
ShardIP = "192.168.1.38"; // the last selected shard
CharacterIndex = 0; // the player character (between 2 possibilities)
---- end of client.cfg

> Why did you decide to release NeL as an Open Source
> project on the Internet if there is no way to
> run it once compiled?

Don't forget that it's a quite young project
and we need time to give some examples and stuff.
We are currently working on a small sample world to give the community
something to kick around and showcase what NeL can do.
We'll release it next week so please be a little patient.
Of course this example will have nothing to do with our final game.
Its main use is to help us to test our library and test our team production
pipelines.

But, as you said below, you could use NeL with your own data: you don't
*have* to wait for us to provide it !

> We have a lot of game assets ready that we would
> love to test out in the NeL engine.  We use mostly
> Maya for our content but we have a couple of 3D Max
> licences as well.  Our content currently includes;
> textured characters with animations, buildings,
> props, height maps and landscape textures.

Great! The only potential problem could be for exporting datas.
But it would be neat if you wrote an export pluggin for Maya,
and we'd love to have another example of a program using NeL.

Best regards,

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geek.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?