[Nel] invisible users

From: Michael Warnock
Subject: [Nel] invisible users
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:36:42 -0800

greetings,

The engine is coming along beautifully! Thanks again for all your hard work.

I've been experiencing a hard-to-trace problem for a while which I thought was
in our own code, but which I now have
reason to believe is in yours.
Sometimes, (Not Always!) the first user to log on after a fresh full services
restart cannot see the second.  It seems the
problem is with new players not recieving the data for the old ones- it happens
with not so fresh servers more often and
sometimes with greater numbers of users, though the 2nd and 3rd can usually see
eachother.  I'm pretty familiar with the
frontend and position service code having mostly rewritten them for our own
ends and added several services and iI
cant find any bugs in it.  This problem happens with unmodified nel and
snowballs2 code.  Has anyone else
experienced this?
Here is some log from the frontend service containing the only error message I
could find that I thought might relate to
the matter:
INF 1272 main.cpp 540 : The client with uniq Id 2 is connected
INF 1272 main.cpp 561 : Sent IDENTIFICATION message to the new client
INF 1272 main.cpp 216 : Received ADD_ENTITY from the client
INF 1272 main.cpp 255 : Sent ADD_ENTITY message to all the connected clients
WRN 1476 sock.cpp 117 : Exception will be launched: Socket error: Connection
closed (0)
INF 1272 main.cpp 576 : A client with uniq Id 2 has disconnected
WRN 1272 unified_network.cpp 830 : HNETL5: can't find service WS to send
message CC     <-- could this be it?
INF 1272 main.cpp 591 : Sent REMOVE_ENTITY message to the position manager.

I can provide all the service's logs if anyone wants- I just didnt want to
flood the mailing list.

Michael Warnock
Total hard disk crash - O pestilence!
Now is the winter of our disk contents!