Re: [Nmh-workers] 78 column limit

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 78 column limit
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:36:41 -0500

Ah, I forgot Apple Mail got rid of format=flowed and now happily sends
long lines.  Sigh.

>Perhaps we could bundle a utility that could be invoked as the 'editor'
>at the whatnow? prompt that would reformat a simple text file into the
>syntax format=flowed requires?  I.e. something along the lines of the
>venerable fmt(1).

Sure.  If we had it output mhbuild directives, that would be even better.
>From what I can tell, a mhbuild directive at the top of the text that
looked like this:

#<text/plain; format=flowed

would do the right thing.  Assuming, of course, that the body was formatted
correctly.

This gets into a larger meta-topic ... how do we compose messages
in the modern world in nmh?  Back when it was all simple text it
was easy, but now as we've seen the power of nmh to use your favorite
text editor is a bit of a liability.  Right now nmh just uses the
contents of your draft as what to send out to the SMTP server, but
as we've seen we need to be a bit smarter.  The attach functionality
is a good start, but I'm wondering what other people are thinking about
in terms of "improved" message composition in nmh?  How should we interact
with a user's editor and any MIME formatting we need to do?  Sigh.  Nothing
obvious pops out at me; I'm open to suggestions.