Re: [Nmh-workers] Conflict between "mime" command and attach

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Conflict between "mime" command and attach
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:16:16 +0100

Ken wrote:
> Jon wrote:
> > My opinion is that having special characters in the body is bad,
> > like crossing the beams.  It was a good hack at the time but should
> > be put out of our misery.  I think that all MIME composition should
> > be done via headers.
>
> It's fine for 90% of what people normally want to do.  It's just the
> rest of the stuff ... like creating multiparts like
> multipart/alternative, or external-body references, or if you want to
> create HTML and specify the Content-ID of attachments exactly.  Not
> many people want to do that, it's true.  I'm not sure how we do that
> in headers easily.

It clearly can't be done at the moment and, yes, it isn't obvious how it
could be done without adding some kind of positional information to the
headers, e.g. "location strings" and then putting those same magic
markers in the body.  That's more tedious than today's /^#/ method.

For us 10%-ers, leave our # alone, or at least the method.  Allow the #
to be configurable if you want, especially if it allows UTF-8 runes,
`␛applcation/pdf; name=...' any one?  :-)