Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

From: hymie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] date math
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:29:24 -0500

Ken Hornstein writes:

>>For people who actually use dates (as Robert also pointed out), this
>>change destroys the point of using local TZ information in the header.
>>Otherwise, we would just normalize the date headers to UTC everywhere.

>I could be persuaded to have the default display both (origin timezone
>and local timezone, a la exmh).  Robert indicated he's be fine with
>that, and that might keep everyone happy (or at least less grumpy).

I would like to respectfully remind people that, in my original request,
I did not have the sender's time zone.  I had the sender's employer's
hosted-email-company's computer-configuration's time zone, which was
UTC.

I cannot have any expectation that the date stamps in the email header
reflect anything immediately (that is, at a glance) useful to me -- it
may not be the sender's time zone, it may not be the recipient's time
zone.  It's just a time stamp in (effectively) a random time zone.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden