Re: Octave 2.2.x Was: A group in Norway ...

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Octave 2.2.x Was: A group in Norway ...
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:08:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:
> |   * sparse matrices
>
> Is this ready to be a part of the core Octave distribution?  How much
> work would it take?

In terms of functionality its basically all I intended to do.
The remaining items are:
  - sparse\sparse is an inefficient hack
  - allow calling from C++ rather than casting to octave_value

In terms of coding style its somewhat messy. This was how
I learned C++, so it reflects my "maturing" style.

In terms of bugs, I get very few bug reports any more.
(Although I got one today)

As far as advanced sparse functions, ie chol, eig, svd,
SuperLU does not support them, so they would be quite
hard with the current framework.

If there are any specific requirements (from you or
others on the list) I can probably find some time
this summer to work on them.

> | Essential
> |   * clean up the load-save mess
>
> I think this might be a relatively hard problem, which is why it
> hasn't been fixed yet.  But maybe what I think cleaning up the mess
> means is different from what you are thinking about.  I mean that we
> need some reasonable way to handle loading and saving user-defined
> types, and also we need to decide whether it is worth trying to
> support N different file types (HDF5, MAT4, MAT5, Octave binary,
> Octave ASCII, etc.) in the load command.

For a 2.2 release, I think its sufficient to load/save all core types.
For a 3.0 relase, loadable type support is more important.

Which brings back the question: How far away (realistically) is 3.0?

Andy