Re: A group in Norway starts to develop support for multidimensional arr

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: A group in Norway starts to develop support for multidimensional arrays in Octave.
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:43:59 +0100

On Friday 20 June 2003 03:01, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|  On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:39:57PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
|  > Another possiblity is to do away with the 2.0.x series and just have
|  > one.  It would not be labeled "stable" or "development" or anything
|
|  Yep, the gap between 2.0 and 2.1 is so big that I'd be surprised if anyone
|  wanted to look after the old one.
|
|  *But* to reiterate what Andy suggested a few days ago: call the next one
|  after 2.1.49 a fresh 2.2.0 which will then be "stable". 2.0 will be taken
|  behind the barn.
|
|  Someone may even maintain 2.2 aka stable

This seems to be the problem, no one has taken that responsability in the
past, why would that change now?

If human resources are scarce, one has to change the release model; I propose
not to have stable and development branches/releases, only "works pretty
well" releases.

| while you and other contributors
|  continue on a fresh 2.3 / 3.0 branch with all the exciting new
| developments talked about here.
|
|  So can we have our cake and eat it too?

Yes, but who does the cooking :-?

Joao