Re: I don't have functions like inv, pinv, det - build problem?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: I don't have functions like inv, pinv, det - build problem?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:32:15 -0500

On 22-Feb-2007, Hakan Y?ksel wrote:

| John W. Eaton schrieb:
| > On 22-Feb-2007, Hakan Y?ksel wrote:
| >
| > | ok, now I have figured it out. One has to specify the parameter
| > | libexecdir via configure (e.g. --libexecdir=/usr/lib).
| >
| > Although it is possible to rearrange the way files are installed by
| > using options like --libexecdir, I don't recall ever having used it.
| > So why do you find it necessary to use this option?
| >
| > jwe
| >

| Hello John,
|
| sorry. This posting should have been an answer to my previously sent
| question. I have had the problem that I didn't have the folder
| /usr/lib/octave which has amongst others the subfolder
| /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ with files like inv.oct,
| pinv.oct or det.oct. The problem was then that I couldn't call this
| functions. After adding
|
| --libexecdir=/usr/lib to the call of configure and rebuilding the folder was
created and the functions were available.

| Bye, Hakan

Yes, earlier you wrote:

  Hello,

  I have configured and compiled octave-2.1.73 with following options:

         ./configure --prefix=/usr \
                     --with-blas \
                     --enable-shared \
                     --with-hdf5 \
                     --enable-rpath \
                     --with-lapack \
                     --disable-nls \
                     --enable-readline \
                     --enable-picky-flags \
                     --with-g77 \
                     --with-x

         make
         make install

  Gcc version is 4.1.1.

  When I want to call det(A), inv(A) or pinv(A) I get the following line:
  "error: `inv' undefined near line 8 column 1".

  I have noticed that I don't have
  /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/oct/<platform><os> with files like inv.oct,
  pinv.oct, det.oct and so on inside. There is not even the folder
  /usr/lib/octave. It seems to me that something has to be different in my
  call to configure. But what?

I don't see what the problem is.  With --prefix=/usr, the libexecdir
should be set to /usr/libexec, the .oct files should be installed in
/usr/libexec/octave/VERSION/oct/ARCH, and the default loadpath should
be set so that the files are found.  If that didn't happen, then
there may be a bug, but the solution is not to also force the user to
set --libexec independently of --prefix.  What is your definition of
the loadpath and the default loadpath?