tmp gets full when plotting many images

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: tmp gets full when plotting many images
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:15:00 -0400

On 26-Mar-2007, Søren Hauberg wrote:

|    When plotting many images (i.e. showing a movie) I run out of disc
| space, because the plotting system doesn't seem to be cleaning up after
| itself as long as Octave still running. Can we make the system delete
| tmp files when they are no longer needed?

We eliminated tmp files for lines and surfaces.  I don't know of a way
to eliminate them for images.  Octave has no way of knowing when
gnuplot is finished with a file.  Although it might seem that we
should be able to delete tmp files in __go_draw_figure__, I don't
think we can do that, because there is no way to guarantee that
gnuplot has finished processing the previous plot before we have
started sending new commands.

For now, the best solution is for you to call purge_tmp_files when you
know gnuplot is done with the tmp files.