Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:13:20 +0200

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On  3-Oct-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| Mac people should here again be part of the big Unix community as long as they | are not able to build Octave with Mac's sed anymore and therefore they must | install a newer version of sed and then the following special darwin lines don't | work anymore: | | *-*-darwin*)
|      UGLY_DEFS=`echo $DEFS | sed
's,\\",\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\",g'`
|    ;;
|    *)
|      UGLY_DEFS=`echo $DEFS | sed 's,\\",\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\",g'`
|    ;;

OK, so this is just another example of how testing for OS or version
instead of the actual bug/broken feature is a bad idea.  So instead of
this code, how about a feature test for sed that tests for the quoting
problem?  If we remove this check, then I'm sure there will be some
people still using the broken sed who will then complain to the list
that they can't build Octave.  Or are you saying that doesn't matter
now, that these systems are now the rare exception?

jwe

Mac's original sed will definitely not work anymore for building Octave. Even if we get through ./configure we then will fail with the mkf77def script that produces 'empty output' if we call ./make in libcruft. So I'm 99.9% sure that 'broken sed' will not work for building Octave on Mac. That's why every Mac user needs a new GNU/sed if he successfully wants to build Octave. My suggestion is to 'comment out' these lines, keep it for the next release and somewhen delete them completely if we don't hear anything on the list.

  Thomas