Re: Font problem with png terminal 2.9.17+

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Font problem with png terminal 2.9.17+
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:26:00 +0900 (JST)

Hello

The png terminal can be enhanced mode.

       G N U P L O T
        Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
gnuplot> set terminal png enhanced
Terminal type set to 'png'
Options are 'nocrop enhanced medium '

Help
      set terminal png
             {{no}transparent} {{no}interlace}
             {{no}truecolor} {rounded|butt}
             {tiny | small | medium | large | giant}
             {font <face> {<pointsize>}}
             {size <x>,<y>} {{no}crop}
             {{no}enhanced}
             {<color0> <color1> <color2> ...}

I am against to list out png terminal from enhanced list.
The png terminal is the most useful bitmap terminal for the gnuplot.

>From gnuplot manual for wxt
********
Alternatively, the OpenSymbol font, distributed with OpenOffice.org as
"opens___.ttf", offers the same
characters. Microsoft has distributed a Symbol font ("symbol.ttf"), but it has
a different character
set with several missing or moved mathematic characters. If you experience
problems with your default
setup (if the demo enhancedtext.dem is not displayed properly for example), you
probably have to
install one of the Adobe or OpenOffice Symbol fonts, and remove the Microsoft
one. Other non-conform
fonts, such as "wingdings" have been observed working.
*********

Open office have OpenSymbol.ttf.

But Note that it has a different character set from Microsoft symbol.ttf
described above.

Tatsuro

--- "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> We could avoid this problem by not including "png" in the list of
> "enhanced" terminals, but I'm not sure that is the best solution.  If
> there is a symbol font that can be used with gnuplot's png terminal,
> then I would simply use it.  If this is possible, will someone please
> explain how to do it?
>
> I think we should leave the default fontname property value
> "Helvetica".  It is easy enough to globally change the default
> property for all figures using
>
>   set (0, "defaulttextfontname", "*");
>
> in your ~/.octaverc file.
>
> jwe