Re: untabifying and local-variable for Emacs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: untabifying and local-variable for Emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:10:48 -0500

On 11-Feb-2010, John W. Eaton wrote:

| Next, I'll try to find a way to use Mercurial to enforce the no tabs
| policy.

I've looked at this a little more and I'm not sure we can enforce the
policy for all users.  I think that it would require cooperation from
the savannah admins to add a hook in the hgrc file for the Octave
sources on savannah, so I'm hesitant to do that because if it breaks
we can't fix it ourselves.  Also, any commit hook we put there will
not be copied when the archive is cloned, so any hook we want to use
will need to be added by each developer to thier local hg archives.

Any suggestions about how to manage this are welcome.

If we can't come up with a good solution, I guess we will just have to
check periodically and remove any TAB characters that are added.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to tell vi (vim?  I'm not sure
what the most common variants are now) to not insert tabs in the
Octave source files, similar to what I've now done for Emacs in the
.dir-locals.el file?