Re: Equalis Octave group

From: Dave Barnes
Subject: Re: Equalis Octave group
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:30:49 -0700

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Dave Barnes <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I expect getting an extended description out to the community will
>> help to determine if Equalis is of interest. I originally was focused
>> on determining what features would be useful, but we've gotten into a
>> more fundamental discussion on practicality and legitimacy. Best we
>> address that first.
>
> Ah, I see. So, do you work for Equalis? From an octave point of view,
> I think the mindshare competition for Equalis is going to be the
> Mathworks File Exchange. We have discussed (and Jordi has been working
> on) a site for users to share and comment files. I can't remember if
> those discussions have been on maintainers@ or on address@hidden I think what
> is liked about the file exchange is that it allows users to find,
> distribute, post and discuss smaller packages. What is controversial
> is the Mathwork's insistence on BSD licensing for all user submissions
> (i.e. GPL and other free licenses are not welcome). What is also good
> about File Exchange is it's openness. It requires accounts to upload
> and comment, but not to browse and download. Equalis could conceivably
> be larger than just octave and include GPL matlab works that have been
> cast into the wilderness by the recent license change.
>

> --judd

I do work for Equalis, thought I'm not a full-fledged employee. Mostly
an excuse to get in closer proximity to software development.
Something I've been missing lately.

I think the idea of the file exchange is interesting. I do like the
Matlab concept, but haven't been there for a while and wasn't aware of
the license change.

BTW thanks for entertaining a discussion on this; hopefully something
positive will come of it.

dave