Re: Scalable id/logo/application icon in inkscape

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Scalable id/logo/application icon in inkscape
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:56:10 -0800

> Re: Scalable id/logo/application icon in inkscape
> From:
> Fotios <address@hidden>
>
> I did small very minor changes so that the whole logo occupies a square
> area.
>
> @ Soren. indeed very clean.
> @ John. That was exactly my point. The elliptic thing to be the
> logo/application icon and together with the rest to be the fixed way of
> writting Octave (web page, links, banners whatever). If you dont feel
> like there should be sth like that it is ok with me.
> @ Michael. The scalability and using Inkscape for making the logo - if i
> recall correctly - was suggested by Rik for a similar purpose (cover
> page or sth).

I did suggest it precisely for the cover page.  Raster graphics need to
have really high resolutions to look good in print, and if they do then the
resulting files are huge.  Also, scaling is an issue so one needs multiple
versions of the image in appropriate sizes such as icon, cover page,
website, etc.  I mocked up a cover page in Texinfo using two of the logos
that Fotios has drawn.  Once we have a decision on a logo I can
try, perhaps using an @multitable, to get better alignments.

--Rik