Re: current state of plot demos

From: Konstantinos Poulios
Subject: Re: current state of plot demos
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:28:06 +0200

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> With tip below, I've compiled a comparison of the demo plots for the gnuplot
>> and fltk backends (using Soren's dump_demos.m script).
>>
>> $ hg tip
>> changeset:   13143:bda7b080f205
>> tag:         tip
>> user:        Ben Abbott  <address@hidden>
>> date:        Thu Sep 15 17:55:36 2011 -0400
>> summary:     gnuplot support for log plots with only negative data.  Bug
>> #34232.
>>
>> For those interested the results are at the link below.
>>
>>       http://homepage.mac.com/bpabbott/13137/compare_plots.html
>>
>> Ben
>>

> I forgot to mention, the fltk plots were generated with changeset
> 7b4ec6f841a2 backed-out
>
>        hg pull
>        hg update -C default
>        hg backout 7b4ec6f841a2
>        make
>
> Ben

wow, fltk plotting looks impressively mature. The problems with
artifacts in patches plots are Mac specific so the situation on Linux
is even a bit better than shown in Ben's comparison.

However if I had time I would do the following:

- add some listeners for repositioning labels after the axis position
has changed (see e.g. axis_04_1.png)
- implement polar axes. This is quite straightforward to achieve, just
a bit of code writing no need for big infrastructure changes and
design decisions.
- implement sub/super-scripts support

Having these done, fltk could easily become the deafault.
Unfortunately my free time is very limited in this period.

regards

Kostas