Re: besseli: Am I missing something?

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: besseli: Am I missing something?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:16:39 +0200

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:07:22 -0500
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12-Jan-2012, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
>
> | I'm not sure why this is done in Octave at all, as there is another
> GNU | project which specializes in the evaluation of scientific
> functions.
>
> As I recall, GSL was not a reasonable choice when the Bessel functions
> were added to Octave and since then, no one has done the work
> necessary to adapt GSL to core Octave.
>
> There may be parts of GSL that would be useful in Octave, but GSL
> duplicates code that we would probably not want to remove from Octave.
> For example, is the GSL fft better than FFTW?
>
> Also, we can't use the cblas interface because it uses C ints for
> dimensions and we need to be able to pass 8-byte integers if compiling
> Octave with --enable-64.

Of course any matrix and vector stuff is out of the question, since
that would probably mean a major rework and would have little benefits.

The case is different mainly for special functions and so on; I believe
octave-gsl should be incorporated into core Octave and deprecate
existing functions with the same functionality.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor