Re: trouble compiling

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: trouble compiling
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 14:02:59 -0500

On 05/18/2012 01:17 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 18 May 2012 13:50, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  wrote:
Apparently I need to reconstruct lex.cc, so why wasn't this flagged
as an error?  Any reason?  Or just an oversight in a rather big
config process?

Oh, by the way, the reason that error message about flex is phrased
that way because it's primarily aimed at people who work from
tarballs. In a tarball, lex.cc is supplied, hence the word
"reconstruct". The build system has a few extra steps when building
from hg. I'm not sure how to document more prominently that more work
needs to be done to compile from hg than a tarball. I guess expanding
the HACKING file?

- Jordi G. H.

Is it the case that flex, gperf, bison, and texi2dvi are not required when getting the code as a released tarball because lex.cc and the documentation are already present? Is there some way to test whether the code originates from a tarball in the config process (e.g., check for lex.cc)? Requiring those would be adding a few more items to the list of required extra utilities which seems to be around a dozen or so. I can also understand not requiring something that isn't needed.

Dan