Re: MacOS X App Bundle

From: Thomas Yengst
Subject: Re: MacOS X App Bundle
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:21:51 -0700

On Jun 24, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>> > When I started Octave, I didn't have anything else open up, meaning it was
>> > just the App. After opening Octave, no terminal, no aquaterm... just
>> > grayed out menu items under File, Edit, and Window. The only thing that
>> > wasn't grayed out was File-Print, which brought up a print dialog box.
>> > Given that there was 2 GB worth of stuff in the bundle, this must be a
>> > missing connection kind of thing. I can see that all the dependencies are
>> > there.
>> >
>> > I do have AquaTerm and Gnuplot installed in the /Applications folder, but
>> > I thought the whole idea of a Mac bundle is to have all the dependencies
>> > in one place under a root tree.
>> >
>> > Is the second version of your Octave-3.7.0 at a different Dropbox location
>> > or the same link as originally posted (i.e.,
>> > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.7.0%2B.dmg)?
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tom
>>
>> The newer version is at the same location.
>>
>> The bundle uses a shell script that launches Octave and should isolate it
>> from everything on your system.
>>
>> The script is at the link below.
>>
>> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=MacOS_X_App_Octave_Shell_Script
>>
>> I also have AquaTerm and Gnuplot in my Applications folder, but the bundle
>> does not use them.
>>
>> I don't know what to think about your experience. I'll be able to do more
>> testing on other Macs this week. Maybe I'll encounter something similar?
>>
>> Ben
>
> On an old MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo running 10.6.8, the app seems to
> launch. Ultimately the icon bounces on the then settles on the Dock.
>
> However, nothing else happens. So I tried to run the bundled Octave from the
> Terminal's command liine.
>
> $ cd /Applications/Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/
> $ ./octave
> The application cannot be opened because it has an incorrect executable
> format.
> ./octave: line 124:
> /Applications/Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.7.0+: Bad CPU
> type in executable
>
> As soon as I get this error the icon on the Dock disappears.
>
> Ben

OK - a bit of progress. I ran Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
from the DMG file and after 15 seconds of grinding, Aquaterm launched and I got
an Octave prompt. - Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0".
plotting with gnuplot worked. Some simple test scripts worked.
Aquaterm was the one distributed with the DMG - that's good.

After exit, a 2nd start likewise took about 15 seconds to get to an octave
prompt. Lots of grinding going on somewhere.

Something about the launch from a double click isn't letting it get to
launching the actual application.
Tom