Contributing to Octave help function.

From: Sergey Dudoladov
Subject: Contributing to Octave help function.
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:02:48 +0400

  Hello,

  I've been using Octave for quite a while, and now I would like to contribute some code to the project.
  I want to start with an easy mini-contribution, just to understand how things work.

  My first suggestion is to improve 'help' function by adding a 'dot' option to it.
  MIT OCW Course on Matlab  mentions that in Matlab command ' help . ' , that is help + dot, lists a detailed list of operators (logical, relational etc.)
  See the 11th slide of the lecture titled  "Visualization and programming".

  I use Octave version 3.6.1 , and it responds to this command with an error message. So, I want to add this functionality.

  Any feedback  is welcome. In particular, I have two questions
  1) Is it possible to do it using m-scripts only?  I currently don't know C or C++.
  2) Is there any detailed description of a code contribution workflow ( besides contributors guide ) I can follow ?
      I interested in things like "When and how often to build sources ?", "What things should be changed in configuration files when I change a function?" etc.