Re: Testing MXE-Octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Testing MXE-Octave
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:36:08 -0600

On 02/12/2013 02:17 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Torsten wrote:
On 11.02.2013 23:14, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote
On 02/11/2013 01:38 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Here's some feedback on the most obvious glitches I found in the
previous version (with 3.7.1 snapshot):

<snip>

- The GUI's workspace pane isn't functional - entering something
like "a
= 10" doesn't make a show up in the workspace.

Yeah, there are lots of problems with the GUI. I don't think that these
problems are specific to the MXE cross build.

IIRC it worked OK with the 3.7.1 snapshot on Linux, so I suspect is *is*
related.
The UPM version (admittedly based on 3.6.2) doesn't have this issue.
On all
recent Linux builds I've made the workspace pane works good as well.

AFAIK the workspace is updated by a timer and the UPM version does not
use timers (Israel, please correct me if I am wrong). This might explain
why the workspace of the MXE version does not work when the start of a
timer fails at the beginning.

That would fit in nicely with the "QObject::timer cannot be started from
main thread"-like messages at startup.
As there are two of those messages consecutively, probably some other
pane isn't functional as well?

Not sure. If I'm understanding correctly, the timer isn't associated with the window pane, it is associated with the main thread because it is only the main thread where the symbol table can be accessed. Associating the timer with the window pane would work only if the symbol table were in some shared memory and then there was a semaphore to protect from the secondary thread from accessing a changing symbol table. That is my understanding of things right now and I welcome any verification or better explanation.

Getting back to my last post, why use the timer if the symbol table can't be freely accessed at approximately 0.5 second intervals? Just wait until the core finishes, i.e., returns to the command line and then access the symbol table and refresh the Qt tree.

Dan