using timers in the GUI (was: Re: Testing MXE-Octave)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: using timers in the GUI (was: Re: Testing MXE-Octave)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:07:25 -0500

On 02/12/2013 03:36 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Not sure. If I'm understanding correctly, the timer isn't associated
with the window pane, it is associated with the main thread because it
is only the main thread where the symbol table can be accessed.
Associating the timer with the window pane would work only if the symbol
table were in some shared memory and then there was a semaphore to
protect from the secondary thread from accessing a changing symbol
table. That is my understanding of things right now and I welcome any
verification or better explanation.

Getting back to my last post, why use the timer if the symbol table
can't be freely accessed at approximately 0.5 second intervals? Just
wait until the core finishes, i.e., returns to the command line and then
access the symbol table and refresh the Qt tree.

Yeah, I don't understand the point of the timer either. Wouldn't it be sufficient to just perform the update when the Octave interpreter is at points where it is safe to perform updates? For example, in the readline callback when Octave is waiting for input and perhaps some other select locations. Jacob, could you comment about why you chose to use a timer for this purpose?

Thanks,