Detaching from terminal and keyboard input for GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Detaching from terminal and keyboard input for GUI
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 17:32:43 -0400

On 05/01/2013 02:37 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/01/2013 02:33 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/01/2013 02:03 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/01/2013 12:08 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Apr 8, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

For anyone interested, I'm currently able to build and run the GUI on
MacOS X without any extra patches.

Qscintilla is not yet working for me, but I haven't had the time to
determine why.

Ben

Using macports for dependencies and with the attached patch, the GUI
runs on MacOS 10.7.5. I'm presently using qscintilla 2.4.6.

Interesting, I thought I had tried something like that and it didn't
work for me. But it does seem to work for me on my Debian system, so
I guess whatever I was trying before was different. I checked in the
following changeset:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/49832f60282e

Thanks!

Now I see that the ioctl call works when I start Octave from a desktop
launcher, but not when I start it from a shell running in a terminal.
Weird, I thought I just tested that. I must be losing my mind.

D'oh, never mind, it was just a case of pilot error.

With this change, using less as the pager in the GUI command window
seems to be working OK for me.

But Ctrl-C does not work properly, nor do keyboard shortcuts like
Ctrl-O (for open file).  Neither of these do anything in the command
window.  Ctrl-C in the terminal where I start Octave does interrupt
Octave, but Ctrl-O does not work there either.

With the MinGW Windows build, Ctrl-C does work in the command window,
but Ctrl-O performs the readline command "operate-and-get-next"
instead of working as a shortcut for the file menu item "open".

So on the Linux system, it seems as though neither the GUI nor
readline are getting keyboard input when the focus is in the command
window and on the Windows system, it seems that keyboard input is
going directly to readline.

Any help with understanding what is going on here would be
appreciated.

Also, what should be happening?  It seems to me that we
want the GUI to get keyboard events and have the first chance to do
something with them, then pass any keyboard events that are not
handled by the GUI on to readline.  But perhaps there is some other
approach that works better within the Qt framework?