Re: io-1.2.2 uploaded to package release forum

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: io-1.2.2 uploaded to package release forum
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:23:23 -0700 (PDT)

Carnë Draug-4 wrote
> On 21 May 2013 21:35, PhilipNienhuis <

> pr.nienhuis@

> > wrote:
>> There's an io-1.3.1 package as well (upon next stable Octave release to
>> probably morph into io-2.0.0) for the current 3.7.1+ releases, fairly
>> well
>> tested on Windows (only COM interface) and Linux (all Java-based
>> interfaces
>> incl. OpenOffice/LibreOffice UNO).
>> I've got no clue yet how to disseminate that to the (I expect small) pool
>> of
>> interested developers. Would my dropbox be a viable temporary solution?
>> or
>> shall I post it here? (just 183 KB)
>
> I would say to just upload it somewhere (even if to the mailing list),
> and then mention this on the package's wiki page[1].
>
> I don't know how much of a difference you have between the two
> versions of the package but was it not possible to just have it
> checking the octave version and act accordingly to it? This has been
> done with no problems.

Of course I have been thinking about that.

The issue is that a number of Java calls have changed so much that just a
few if-else-endif constructs wouldn't do. I'd have to either add a lot of
those (significantly slowing down the code) or have two versions of the
relevant "low level" routines and choose which to invoke based on Octave
version (optionally at install time, again quite a bit of sorting out,
testing and invoking code bloat that would only be needed for a year or so).

I figured that to be too much hassle.

For now that is, maybe I'll add that stuff later on, but at present I don't
feel inclined to :-)

Philip