Re: GUI release date approaches

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: GUI release date approaches
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:21:11 -0700 (PDT)

Torsten wrote
> On 09.06.2013 23:42, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>> JWE had set a goal deadline for a GUI release as the end of June.
> :
> <snip>
>> There is one thing that I think that should be added still and it is the
>> variable "editor" or not necessarily editor but "variable viewer".  John
>> made a try at that, and anything even rudimentary would be nice.

I wish it would be extended to cell arrays (and maybe structs). Of the
available dockable panes I use the workspace the most, followed by the
variable "viewer". (I still failed to check if the variable viewer is
updated automatically when elements of an array change value.)

> :
> <snip>
>>  The nicest would be positioning the
>> cursor over a variable and it's value appears in the tool tip...down the
>> line maybe.
>>

> The tooltip for variables is a good idea.
> Attached a patch that implements a custom tooltip in the editor. At the
> moment the tooltip just shows the word found under the mouse pointer.

IMO such a tooltip would ideally be implemented in the command line window
(and be configurable), rather than (or maybe: in addition to) in the editor.
Matlab does it that way (in the command window), very handy.

Anyway, jwe once mentioned something like "getting existing features to work
properly is more urgent than adding new features" and I second that.

One of the things that I think needs attention is to get Java support
properly built for MinGW / MXE, hopefully also for OSX. Hard work is being
done right now to get the foundations for that to happen (i.e., to get
Octave to build under Windows/MinGW natively - OSX is still a bit behind in
that respect).

An IMO somewhat annoying bug is #38785 (undocked panes always on top of GUI
under Windows).

Those 2 are the ones that currently add the most to the reluctance of my
colleagues to try Octave.

P.