Re: Octave on Android

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:07:52 -0400

After looking through https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/master/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java I am not convinced that everything needed to get this working is being provided. If you look at the member functions
private void unpackAll(),
private void installPackage(String packageName), and
private boolean updateRequired(String packageName),
it seem apparent that the obfuscated filenames found in the
https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/master/octave/libs/armeabi
directory seem to be the actually binaries created by some other build process that is not included herein. So, essentially this seems to be the terminal launcher for Android that loads shared libraries created with some other build environment that transforms the Octave binaries into the Android package format. I looked through the rest of the build files and other resources and the process of building Octave for ARM and subsequently generating the Android package files is not included in this Github repository (maybe he has another non-public one?).

John Swensen

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 22 Oct 2013, at 16:07, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> I believe this is precisely that required source code. This looks like
> the line that you have to change if you want to create a version that
> does not ask for a donation for these two packages:
>
>   https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/master/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java#L232
>
> Corbin, am I correct, or is there more required to build this package?

If that is so that's cool! I'd love to try and build and run Octave on my Galaxy ...
Corbin, can you confirm that evrything I need is on github?

> - Jordi G. H.
c.