Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM

From: Julien Hamilton
Subject: Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 08:24:03 -0500

Hi Juan,

I agree it should not be all about the money. I was just giving an example where libre software can be created by paid developments.

My idea here is to help to make Octave a little bit more popular and attractive to contributors, and not to go against GNU principles.

JH

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM, fgnievinski <address@hidden> wrote:
> Agreed; we could borrow from AOO:
> <http://www.openoffice.org/why/>
> "Great software; Easy to use; and it's free!"
> -F.
>

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM, CdeMills [via Octave] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> The opensource ecosystem is vast and diversified.
>>
>> On the one hand, you're right that Octave could benefit from funding.
>> OTOH, promoting Octave as the-poor-man  MatLab does not seems adaquate to
>> me. At first, we will appear as a MatLab concurrent, and as so will become a
>> "target" for actions. Second, when I see students from countries where
>> copyright laws are less enforced, they all have crackeds version of
>> you-just-name-it. They prefer to use some MatLab of dubious ancestry because
>> "it is standard". They mean it both ways: everybody write and diffuse code
>> in THIS language, and everybody crack it.
>>
>> I thus conclude that "money" should not be the only argument; we should
>> agree on other metrics to promote actions around Octave.
>>
>> Regards

>> NAML

I do not think this is exactly the message we want to highlight
"and it's free
Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used entirely
free of any license fees."

It is not best of all, it is a consequence of the other values we are
trying to promote: freedom.
I would not even highlight this point but the other advantages of
libre software.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html