Re: Release Ideas

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:40:24 -0500

On 01/27/2015 04:23 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
It's been a long time since 3.8.0.

What's required for the gui-release branch to be released?  My list really only has

  Use Qt widgets for plotting with the GUI

I've been working a little bit on adding buttons and making zooming work with the mouse wheel.  I hope to push some changes for those things later this week.

Beyond that, I think the GUI is in pretty good shape.  Sure, a lot of issues have been reported, but I think it is more than usable at this point.

I'd like to follow that release relatively soon with a release from what is now the default branch because it has a lot more bug fixes that should probably be in a released version of Octave.

What show-stopping bugs need to be fixed on either branch before we make a release?

jwe

As you would expect, I agree that releases soon would be good. I normally use the default branch and
have no problems with it at present.  It would be nice if JIT compiled again, but it was never really
ready for release. I do not know of any blocking problems with the default. So, it is not obvious that a
GUI release before default release really makes sense.

Unless there is something blocking default, why not just make one release (default already has all the
GUI code).
Pilip mentioned:
A serious issue for me is the OpenGL single precision. I often work with
time series from the late 19th century to date (datenum order ~ 733000) and
those time series get severely distorted due to insufficient precision.  See
bugs #40246, #33748 and #32980.
But, this is true of all the branches, sorry to say.

Michael