Re: optim, struct, parallel: pre-release check on Windows?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: optim, struct, parallel: pre-release check on Windows?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:04:12 -0700

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 17:42:31 +0200, Olaf Till wrote:
> It was a mistake of mine, and now I see that echo needs this switch
> even at my system. As soon as I have time I'll have to figure out why
> the Makefile worked for me at all.

Because this is one of those non-portable shell things that vary wildly
depending on your environment :)

Try these:

  dash -c 'echo "line 1\nline 2\n"'
  bash -c 'echo "line 1\nline 2\n"'
  bash -c 'shopt -s xpg_echo; echo "line 1\nline 2\n"'
  /bin/echo "line 1\nline 2\n"

The -e option to echo is not portable:

  dash -c 'echo -e "line 1\nline 2\n"'

The safest practice is to assume that echo produces undefined output
when it encounters a backslash. If you want multiple lines of output,
just do multiple echo commands. If you want other escape sequences like
a tab, use the printf command instead.

--
mike