Re: Suggestion on priorities for improving pytave

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Suggestion on priorities for improving pytave
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 00:31:14 -0700

On 07/07/16 00:06, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
Wouldn't it be the same as now? I mean if we just add a special case for
1x1 arrays then everything else remain as is, right?

At least for now, I think you're right.

pystore ("var_with_req_name", req_octave_value);

Its possible that we don't want to expose such a thing (although we may want it internally).

Why? We don't really want the user to have to track a mental model of variables in Python space. She should just have some Octave objects (doubles, strings) and some @pyobjects (dicts, modules, whatever). And then do things to those objects.

    Maybe some kind of support for function kwargs as well? A scalar struct
    to pass named parameters?

This could prove to be a bit tricky. I tried but couldn't use map
unpacking to call a python function.

Please file an issue for this kwargs stuff. It'll be important, even if we can't do it right now.

Colin