Re: Implementing categorial function

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Implementing categorial function
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 19:02:38 -0800

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 13:04:40 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanna know, while looking for unimplemented functions in octave I
> found a category of functions not implemented. (no pun intended).
>
> 1. iscategorical
> 2. iscategory
> 3. categorical
> 4. categories
>
> I am interested to implement them, well maybe one for a start. I also want
> to know weather it is okay to implement them and no one else is already
> working on it.
>
> For example this is what iscategorial should do
> https://in.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/iscategory.html?searchHighlight=iscategorial
> <https://in.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/iscategory.html?searchHighlight=iscategorial>
>

> Please let me know about the status of these functions as I am very
> interested in implementing them.

I don't think anyone has done any work on implementing categorical
arrays. You are certainly welcome to start working on that if you want.
That also means it may take some effort to find interested parties to
give you some feedback and testing.

If you want to develop full support for this data type, it looks like
there is plenty of work to do beyond the 4 functions you listed:

https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/categorical-arrays.html
https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/other-matlab-functions-supporting-categorical-arrays.html

I'm sure you've seen this stated already, but be sure not to read or use
any Matlab files at all, other than the publicly accessible docs.

--
mike