Re: mxe-octave status

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mxe-octave status
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:51:14 -0400

On 10/20/2017 06:00 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/20/2017 04:28 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Ah, I see I misunderstood; you mean that mesa version provokes a segfault. (Sorry for not following the whole issue in detail - which relates to not having hit the issue with older system opengl32.dll libs yet.)

No, the mesa version works fine for me. It's when I've built the qt5 version with mesa and then I attempt to use the system opengl32.dll instead. As far as I know, this should work since the API should be the same. It's supposed to be a "drop-in replacement"

It looks like the problem that I've experienced is due to the system opengl implementation that I have with a Windows 7 installation inside virtualbox. When I tried the same Octave installer on a Windows 10 system running on real hardware with Intel graphics, it worked fine with the system opengl and the mesa version.

This is the info I get from __opengl_info__ on the virtual box system (using Octave 4.2.1):

  version    = 1.1.0
  vendor     = Microsoft Corporation
  renderer   = GDI Generic
  extensions =
    GL_WIN_swap_hint
    GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_paletted_texture

so maybe this is insufficient for the qt5 QOpenGLWidget? Or there is just a bug that could be fixed. Either way, it appears that with the mesa opengl32.dll we now have a way to too avoid these problems.

I don't know that we need to detect and repair the problem automatically, but we should probably at least have a configuration option that arranges for Octave to use the mesa opengl library to do software rendering.