Re: mxe-octave status

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: mxe-octave status
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 00:07:00 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/21/2017 04:58 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

<snip>

On any system, __opengl_info__ doesn't work the first time. But the
second time, or after having made a simple "plot (1:10)",
__opengl_info__ does work.
So apparently there's some initialization issue. It doesn't matter
which opengl32.dll (Octave, system) is in use.

Earlier builds (octave & mxe-octave hg-id's) had the same issue; when
running __run_test_suite__ I usually got a FAIL for __opengl_info__
but afterwards, "test __opengl_info__" worked.

__opengl_info__ requires an opengl context.  If one is not already
available, then it tries to create one.  There is a 0.1 second delay
between creating a figure and inquiring about the opengl capabilities.
Does increasing that delay help to avoid the failure on your system?

Ah...

Well, on my relatively fast core i5 desktop a delay of 0.25 sec. seems to reliably allow __opengl_info__ to succeed. On my much slower core i5 laptop 0.2 sec. suffices. So, slower => shorter delay.

It does make a difference whether Octave was already running; I suppose all kind of disk cache and memory cache things interfere. The first time octave has been started after booting, __opengl_info__ usually responds fine. But a second start of Octave need a longer delay.

Philip